Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pasta Siciliano

Mission Eat-as-Much-Pasta-as-Possible-Before-Hubby-Comes-Home continues.

Photobucket

I wanted something relatively light, relatively quick and easy, and flavorful. I wasn't looking for a boring garlic + olive oil dressing to coat my pasta in, but something that I'd actually pay to eat at a restaurant. And that I wouldn't need to smother in Parmesan cheese.

Found it! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pasta-Siciliano/Detail.aspx (hyperlink still isn't working, grrrrr). I did have to modify the recipe because I didn't have any pine nuts, I had less feta cheese than the recipe called for, and I certainly didn't have olives because olives are gross (in my opinion, sorry to offend anyone who likes them). But I had everything else, so I thought I'd give it a go.

First, saute some garlic in oil. I threw in some sliced baby bella mushrooms, since I had them and a reviewer suggested it.

Photobucket

Add some red pepper flakes and lemon juice for flavor, and then some sun-dried tomatoes (and pine nuts and olives, if you're using them).

Photobucket

And then finally, the cooked pasta and feta cheese.

Unfortunately, I used rotini instead of farfalle, and rotini has so much more surface area, so the sauce didn't go as far and I had to whip up some more.

Photobucket

When all was said and done, this was a really healthy meal! I used multi-grain pasta, it wasn't overly oily, there wasn't any butter, and I served it with a huge side of steamed broccoli, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Photobucket

Also, delicious. Deep flavor in a light package. Will make again. Recipe is in my TasteBook. Click on the widget on the right to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment