Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Meem’s Spaghetti and Meatballs

IMG_3468

Hubby grew up in an Italian family. His grandmother was from Sicily and a fantastic cook. He’s got memories of sneaking into the kitchen as a kid to swipe a meatball from the pot, and so I tried to reproduce it a while back. Of course, the recipe was only written down later by his mother, so it left a few questions unanswered, but it turned out well. But then I put the recipe aside and forgot about it.

IMG_3469

Fast forward a year. We started going to a family-style Italian restaurant in our neighborhood, and their spaghetti and meatballs is out of this world.

It made me want more. So I made more. I made a few shortcuts, though, since I didn’t go to the store after deciding to make these.

First step: the meatballs. Combine breadcrumbs and grated romano cheese. Or in my case, combine breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese.

IMG_3443

Add in milk, eggs, salt, pepper, minced onion, minced celery, and minced garlic. Or…. in my case, instead of celery, use celery salt and cut back on the regular salt, since I didn’t have celery.

IMG_3445

Finally, add ground beef, shape into balls, and “cook.” The recipe didn’t specify how. I did some googling and learned that frying them in a pan is more authentic, but baking them is healthier and easier. I went with baking, though it did give them each one flat side. I think next time, I’ll fry them on the stove.

IMG_3446

They came out looking like this. They seemed to be oozing a bit of cheese and fat, but they sure smelled good.

IMG_3453

And now for the sauce!

Start off with a little olive oil, a can of tomato sauce and three cans of tomato paste.

IMG_3448

Just sauté it for 20-30 minutes, stirring very frequently because it sticks and scorches if you don’t.

IMG_3456

Then add minced onion, celery, and garlic. Again, I didn’t have celery, but I did add onion and garlic.

IMG_3452

Cook it for another 10ish minutes, or until the veggies are soft. It’s getting pretty thick by this point.

IMG_3460

Measure out the following: oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, sugar, and a bay leaf. The oregano and basil would have been better fresh, but you make due with what you have!

IMG_3461

Add it to the tomato sauce, along with 6 cups of water.

IMG_3463

Also add the meatballs, and then let it simmer (covered) for an hour, stirring every now and then.

IMG_3466

At this point, I realized that what I *thought* was a fully box of spaghetti was really more like a quarter box of spaghetti. So I cooked fettucini instead. I guess it all tastes the same.

IMG_3467

It was yummy! I think I may add less water next time, as the sauce seemed thin at the end, but it was good. I think if I had followed the instructions exactly and also fried the meatballs, it would have been especially amazing.

But it was worth the effort. We both ate too much.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I'm always looking for a good sauce recipe, and my mouth instantly started to water when Andy posted on FB that you were making his family recipe.

    FYI: I put quite a bit of water in mine too, but I also let it cook for like 3 or 4 hours so some of it evaporates. Also, sauce is great crock pot style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken like a true Italian. Very smart. I only simmered mine for an hour or so, so maybe it would have been better to let it go longer. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete