Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Garlic Broccoli Salad

I’ve had this recipe for a long time. I first dug it up when I was looking for side dishes for my first dinner party back when I was living in my small town Pennsylvania apartment. It went over surprisingly well, and I was asked to make it several times more.

IMG_4566

I’ve held on to the recipe since then, though I don’t make it that often. It’s simple to make, and it’s absolutely delicious. The problem is that it is so, so, so heavy on garlic. It’s also addicting as hell. If everyone in the house is eating it, that’s fine, but I don’t think I’ve ever managed to convince hubby to give it a shot, so I haven’t really bothered to make it for myself.

But I thought I would now, since we’re eating so many veggies.

First, start off with garlic. A LOT of garlic.

IMG_4553

I normally start off with real cloves though. I’ve never actually made this recipe starting with the minced garlic in a jar, regardless of what my last post says. I wasn’t sure how this would work, because the recipe just tells you to sprinkle the cloves with salt and then crush with the flat side of a large knife to make a paste. Might as well try it, though I found myself wishing I had a mortar and pestle.

IMG_4555

IMG_4557

After it was as paste-like as I could get it, I scooped it up into a bowl.

IMG_4558

Added some olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard.

IMG_4559

Kind of brownish-yellow all mixed up.

IMG_4560

Added a bunch of fresh broccoli, all cut up.

IMG_4562

Tossed it as much as I could, then covered and put it in the fridge to marinate for a few hours. I left the wooden spoon in there so I could come in to stir it frequently.

IMG_4564

And here it is.

IMG_4565

The only broccoli recipe that I’ve ever snuck to the fridge to snack on. And the longer it sits, the better it gets.

IMG_4567

No comments:

Post a Comment