Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Barbecue Vinaigrette

I’m not exactly where this recipe came from.

It found its way into my family’s repertoire via a meal-in-a-basket gift one Christmas, or was it a birthday? I guess it doesn’t matter. All you need to know is that it found its way into my family’s hearts (and tummies) years ago and has become a regular on the dinner rotation.

IMG_7995

But when I moved out, I never made it on my own.

I’m not sure why. It’s a meal I like. It just never occurred to me to MAKE it for myself, until recently, when I was looking for something new to do with chicken breasts.

First step: poach some chicken breasts in a pot of water. Sometimes I add a splash of vinegar to tenderize it a bit.

IMG_8098

Next, start a pot of fettuccini. Or linguini. Or any shape pasta you want, really. I like fettuccini with this.

IMG_8116

While these are cooking, you can make the barbecue vinaigrette sauce. It starts off with some barbecue sauce (shocker, right?).

IMG_8100

IMG_8103

Some olive oil…

IMG_8104

Some vinegar (I think I used white wine vinegar since our recipe wasn’t specific)…Don’t worry about the color, I didn’t rinse out my measuring cup after the barbecue sauce.

IMG_8111

And some soy sauce.

IMG_8112

Whisk it all up…

IMG_8115

Meanwhile, your chicken is done. Let it cool for a few minutes…

IMG_8117

And drain your pasta.

IMG_8123

Pour the vinaigrette over the pasta and mix it in.

IMG_8125

Add corn. We usually use frozen, but this time I used canned.

IMG_8126

And of course, your chicken gets cut up and put in there, as well.

IMG_8127

All mixed up!

IMG_8128

Finally, before serving, you can top it off with green onions. Other people in my family use regular raw onions, but I much much much prefer green onions. Much.

IMG_8129

Give it another stir, and then serve!

IMG_7994

It’s an easy weeknight dish. In fact, the recipe says to chill it before serving, so you could make it in the morning or the day before. Personally, though, I have no idea why it says that. I much prefer it hot, but maybe that’s just me. Even so, it’s not hard to throw together.

It’s a unique flavor combination, flavors that aren’t often mixed with pasta (I’m trying to think of another time I put soy sauce on pasta…), and maybe that’s just what makes this meal work so well. Hubby went back for seconds when I made this, so I guess it’s pretty nummy.

I recommend you try it! Here's the recipe. Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy and easy. Just what I need these days.

    ReplyDelete