Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Southwestern Chili Cheese Fondue

I guess I had a bit of a theme birthday this year, since my parents got me a fondue pot (they must have read this post) and my brother got me a fondue recipe book.

IMG_2203

When my brother and sister-in-law visited us, we were flipping through the book and decided to attempt one called “Southwestern Chili Cheese Fondue.” It looked pretty delicious so after a trip to the grocery store, I set to work making it.

First step: grate 8 ounces each of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, and then toss the cheese with a tablespoon of cornstarch.

IMG_2204

This recipe had a lot of ingredients and had a lot of steps in terms of putting them all together, so rather than run around my kitchen frantically, I decided to prep everything in advance.

First, onion and red bell pepper, finely diced.

IMG_2208

Then, 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped.

IMG_2210

And finally, jalapeno pepper (seeded) and garlic, both minced.

IMG_2215

Okay, finally ready to get started. First, heat some oil in a pan and saute the onion and bell pepper. Then add in the tomatoes, jalapenos, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the moisture is cooked off.

IMG_2216IMG_2218

Then pour in a lot of half-and-half, and bring to a boil.

IMG_2221

Break up a package of cream cheese into chunks and add that…

IMG_2222

Stir it until it’s all melted and creamy, and then gradually add the Monterey/ cheddar mixture from step one. Stir in lime juice, cayenne pepper, and cumin, then put it in the fondue pot and top with chopped cilantro. Voila!

IMG_2224

We served with sausages, tortilla chips, soft flour tortillas, and fresh red bell pepper sticks.

IMG_2225IMG_2226IMG_2228

Time consuming, my friends, but well worth it.

IMG_2229

If you’d like the recipe, check out “Great Party Fondues” by Peggy Fallon. I don’t think I’m allowed to reproduce it for you. But I might be persuaded in an email Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment