Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

IMG_2878

Last week, hubby and I went to a new place for pizza, one of those specialty pizza places with ravioli pizza and buffalo chicken pizza and everything you can imagine. We got a BBQ chicken pizza, and although it was good, it wasn’t worth the $12 we spend on the 8-inch pizza. Not enough toppings, not enough oomph, just not impressive.

IMG_2811

It left me wanting to make my own version. It’s one that I’ve made before, many times. It’s flavorful and colorful, and it’s different. And I was pretty sure it was better than the one we got from that pizzeria.

First, boil up some chicken. I used thin-sliced chicken breasts this time.

IMG_2809

I use a store-bought pizza dough. I’m sure homemade would taste better, but this is just easier.

IMG_2814

Now for the color. One red onion, though not the whole thing. Half, I suppose, or maybe less. I’ve paid less attention to measuring each time I’ve made this.

IMG_2816

IMG_2818

IMG_2820

And then a jar of pepperoncini peppers, which are near the pickles in the grocery store, if you decide to try this recipe out. It took me a while to figure that out the first time I made this. I used a whole jar this time, but it was probably a bit much.

IMG_2822

It sure makes a mess to slice them up.

IMG_2824

IMG_2826

Here are the onions and peppers together

IMG_2827

And for some green, add a bunch of fresh cilantro.

IMG_2834

I put it in a food processor to get it chopped up really small and nice.

IMG_2838

Back to the chicken. It was just about done at this point.

IMG_2839

I chopped it up with a big knife into lots of little pieces.

IMG_2845

I put it in a bowl and mixed in a bunch of BBQ sauce.

IMG_2849

Spread some more BBQ sauce on the pre-cooked pizza dough.

IMG_2850

Top it with the chicken…

IMG_2851

Cilantro…

IMG_2854

Peppers…

IMG_2856

Onions…

IMG_2857

And a whole bunch of cheese…

IMG_2859

After it’s baked for a while, the cheese gets all melty and bubbly.

IMG_2875

IMG_2876

Sliced up…

IMG_2877

Bon appetite!

IMG_2879

I spent more than $12 putting this together, but the pizza was far better and far more filling so I think that’s okay. If you decide to make it, let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment