Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chicken Piccata

My list of things to blog about has been growing. Stay tuned for garlic spinach, spicy chicken, drunken shrimp, barbecue sauce, and more. I still find time to cook, even if I am running around like a crazy person most of the time. I really shouldn’t complain, though, because when I look back on my life, the busiest times have been the times when I was happy and doing really well. Still, finding time to sit down and reflect has been harder lately. I suppose priority is given to hubby and the dogs. You don’t mind, do you?

IMG_5936

Last week, I decided to make an easy stovetop chicken dinner. Hubby was at a conference in Chicago and I was feeling both hungry for something new and lazy about preparing it just for myself. I did an ingredients search for “chicken and white wine,” just because I had a giant bottle of pinot grigio in my fridge, and I came up with this. There were a lot of chicken piccata recipes, though most of them called for capers and I didn’t have any, but this one looked like a winner.

First, I measured out some flour.

IMG_5911

Added some salt.

IMG_5913

And some ground black pepper.

IMG_5914

I put them in a large ziplock bag and mixed them up.

IMG_5915

Then I added the thinly sliced chicken breasts, one at a time, and shook the whole thing up. Puppy loved this step.

IMG_5917

IMG_5922

Next, melt some butter in a large skillet. Lots of butter.

IMG_5920

And sauté that chicken. I was aiming to just brown both sides initially.

IMG_5926

Then pour yourself a glass of wine to make sure it’s safe for dinner.

IMG_5934

And pour some in with the chicken.

IMG_5929

Just let it simmer for a while.

IMG_5931

Finally, at the last minute, drizzle with lemon juice. So simple, yet so, so important.

IMG_5935

And serve! Easy, simple.

IMG_5941

Served with some sautéed spinach. I was super surprised at how well this worked. The butter and the lemon juice worked well with the crispiness of the pan-fried chicken, and it went very well with the wine. Yum.

IMG_5943

The leftovers weren’t as good. I suppose the microwave ruined that nice crispy texture that the outside of the chicken had. But fresh out of the pan… oh yum. I want to make this again.

Reviewers suggested adding capers. I didn’t do that, so I can’t say if it would have made it better or not. But this was pretty good as is.

Here’s the recipe. Try it and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment