Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Zippy Barbecue Sauce

Recently, my younger brother asked what grilling recipes I could recommend. Turns out, I didn’t have any. I live in a condo and we have silly rules like “no grills” and “use the correct parking tag” and “no more happiness” (extra points if you got the Brian Regan reference). So I wasn’t able to give him any recipes, though I did suggest branching out into meats that he isn’t used to grilling, like pork or shrimp.

Not too long after that, I had some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge. In thinking how to make it appetizing, I decided to cut it up and drench it in BBQ sauce. I was pretty set on that, too, so imagine my disappointment when I pulled out a nearly-empty bottle of BBQ sauce from the fridge. Time to make my own!

Truth be told, I selected this one based partly on the positive reviews but also based on the fact that I had the ingredients. Who knows what better recipes are out there.

I started taking pictures after I started dumping together ingredients.

I started off with some ketchup, water, and molasses.

IMG_5984

Some Worcestershire sauce…

IMG_5986

And some white wine vinegar…

IMG_5988

Add some Dijon mustard.

IMG_5989

And top it off with some brown sugar, kosher salt, hot pepper sauce (I used Buffalo wing sauce), garlic powder, and ground black pepper.

IMG_5991

Here’s a shot of everything that I included:

IMG_5990

After everything was in the bowl, I whisked it.

IMG_5992

Then I read the directions and saw that I was supposed to simmer it for a while, then let it chill for 8 hours to let the sweetness of the sugar overcome the tang from the vinegar. I elected to add a touch of white sugar instead of waiting. But I did let it simmer for 10 minutes, as directed.

Then I added my chicken and let it cook for a few more minutes.

IMG_5993

The verdict: VERY GOOD! Hubby had a few bites before asking where the simultaneous tang and sweetness came from. I’ll definitely make this again.

IMG_5994

It would go so well smothered over chicken, wrapped in foil, and grilled. Oh, summer. I plan on making someone with a grill do this for me this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment