Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Creamy Chicken, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta

Hubby and I are still staying with family for the time being, though we’ve signed a lease and expect to move soon. I’m still trying to alleviate the inconvenience of having us by making dinner when I can.

IMG_6352

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a while but hadn’t gotten around to trying it. It’s actually fairly similar to Philly Shrimp, which is cool.

First, I got out some tri-colored farfalle pasta. I started to measure out the three cups that the recipe called for, but then I thought, “Screw that,” and dumped the whole box into boiling water.

IMG_6328

Next, I cut up some chicken breasts. I used about twice as many as the recipe called for.

IMG_6325

I also seasoned them with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and a touch of onion powder just for fun. This wasn’t part of the original recipe, but reviewers thought it should be.

IMG_6327

Put it into a big skilled and start frying it up.

IMG_6334

IMG_6335

Meanwhile, I started prepping the rest of my ingredients. I love being back in an area where we have Wegman’s! I opened one can of Italian-style diced tomatoes, as the recipe called for, but then immediately decided that since I’d already doubled the chicken and put in more pasta than I needed, I might as well double everything.

IMG_6329

So I opened another can.

IMG_6330

Then I gave my niece a piece of farfalle pasta, which had been cooked and drained by this point. She wasn’t sure what to think of it.

IMG_6332

But she liked the camera.

IMG_6333

IMG_6336

Anyway, once the chicken was about done, I transferred it to a saucepan so I’d have room to add more stuff. I added those diced tomatoes first.

IMG_6337

And then a brick of cream cheese (my favorite ingredient!).

IMG_6338

The recipe called for a bit of water to be added, but I used chicken broth instead.

IMG_6341

Once it started melting and mixing, it looked more like this.

IMG_6345

It got creamier as the cheese continued to melt. I also noticed that the sauce was a bit watery and mixed up some corn starch in water to thicken it up.

IMG_6346

Also, I just realized that I have no photo evidence of the bacon that I fried up, crumbled, and mixed in. It’s there, I promise, I’m just dumb and forgot to take pictures.

It was too much pasta for one serving dish, so here’s about half of the yield.

IMG_6349

And served on a plate:

IMG_6351

Creamy and with a deeper taste than I’d anticipated. I liked the smoky flavor of the bacon combined with the tomato. Personally, I could do without the chicken, but I know a lot of people would disagree.

Regardless, delicious. And the leftovers were just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment