Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Amatriciana

IMG_6615

This dinner had its origins in a package of diced pancetta that I picked up from Wegman’s. I really love that store. It makes impulse buying happen far more often, but that’s a good thing. After all, it led me to this dish. I had planned to make Ravioli with Arugula, Tomatoes, and Pancetta, but I didn’t have any arugula and did a google search instead. Amatriciana is what I came up with. The recipe called this a “quick and flavorful classic,” so maybe it’s something Italians would know about, but  it was new to me.

IMG_6585

Well, technically the recipe called for bacon, but all the reviewers said to use pancetta, so I’m assuming this is the “authentic” way.

I started off with the pancetta in a pan, cooking over medium heat. I really wanted everything to get crispy, since it would be sitting in sauce later and I didn’t want it to be soggy.

IMG_6586

Oops, got too close with my camera and let the lens fog up.

IMG_6587

For some reason, it got really bubbly, but you can kind of see that the pieces are getting crispy.

IMG_6591

Or not.

IMG_6592

Anyway… While it was cooking, I turned to some homegrown garlic from rural Virginia.

IMG_6582

After I peeled a bunch of it, this is what it looked like. Each segment was small so this is not as much as it looks like!

IMG_6583

The next step is technically to sautĂ© chopped onions with the pancetta, but I didn’t have any. I moved right on to the garlic.

Here I am using my garlic press to mince it into the pancetta. It’s been so long since I’ve done this instead of using the canned stuff!

IMG_6595

IMG_6597

Let it cook for maybe 30 seconds…

IMG_6600

And then move on. The recipe said to use two cans of stewed tomatoes – I used diced. Just add them to the pancetta/ garlic/ onions (if you have onions, that is), along with some crushed red pepper flakes, and simmer for 20 minutes or so.

IMG_6603

Meanwhile, boil some pasta. I used fettuccini.

IMG_6604

Just before serving, stir a tablespoon of fresh basil into the sauce. I think this stuff is almost as good as fresh. This was my first time really using it. If you’re using dried, I would put it in a lot sooner so the flavor can be released.

IMG_6608

I took a picture after it was stirred in, but that one’s blurry, so this picture will have to suffice.

IMG_6609

Drain your pasta when it’s done…

IMG_6611

And then mix the sauce into it.

IMG_6614

And there you go! I topped with some shredded Parmesan and served with some green beans and a garlic bread stick from the freezer aisle. Delicious!

IMG_6616

The pancetta lends a smoky, salty flavor to the sauce, and the red pepper flakes are subtle but present – this isn’t spicy, but you do taste the spice. It’s simple, but it’s pretty good. And relatively healthy, if you overlook the pancetta grease.

IMG_6619

A good recipe, and one that I’ll be making again (assuming Wegman’s continues to make it easy to find pancetta!).

Here’s the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment