Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dirty Rice

I was looking for more things to do with the shallots that my Aunt had sent me a few weeks ago. Hubby had some ideas, having grown up using shallots in Cajun rice down in Louisiana. This was my attempt to combine his verbal accounts with a copycat recipe for Popeye’s Cajun rice (aka dirty rice).

IMG_7044

I started off with a stalk of celery.

IMG_7000

And diced it up pretty finely.

IMG_7005

Then I did the same with a green bell pepper.

IMG_7007

Next, I turned to the shallots.

IMG_7012

And diced a couple of those babies up, too.

IMG_7014

Finally, I used a few cloves of my Aunt’s homegrown garlic.

IMG_7017

IMG_7018

IMG_7020

With all that prepped, I started browning a pound (or maybe a pound and a half) of ground beef.

IMG_7023

Then I added my diced celery and green pepper.

IMG_7025

Finally, I added the garlic and shallots.

IMG_7026

IMG_7027

When it was done, I drained the grease and added some long-grain rice.

IMG_7031

And then water, of course.

IMG_7032

Along with some seasoning.

IMG_7034

A little bit of Cajun seasoning…

IMG_7035

And a little bit of cayenne.

IMG_7036

Then I put the lid on and let it simmer for a while.

IMG_7037

When it was done, I fluffed the rice and gave it a taste. It was a little bland, so I added some Tony’s creole seasoning. I didn’t use it before because it’s so salty, but at this point I decided it could use the extra flavoring.

IMG_7040

All mixed in, this is what it looked like.

IMG_7042

In the end, it could have used more seasoning. I had been real careful not to overdo it because I’ve ruined food by using too much creole seasoning, but I really should have dialed it up a notch. Other than that, though, not bad. A good first attempt at dirty rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment