Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Outlaw Potatoes

There’s a little barbecue joint near us.

We’re not sure what it’s called. The owners themselves don’t seem to really know what it’s called, either. In some places, it’s “Taste of Texas,” and in others, it’s “Texas BBQ Joint.” Neither are particularly imaginative, but I don’t really mind because their food is pretty good.

IMG_8748

One thing on their menu is a concoction called, “Outlaw Potatoes.” It’s a baked potato smothered in sour cream, cheese, green onions, and either pulled pork or chicken.

This is my own version of it.

I did this first part the night before, since I want dinner to be ready when I got home today and didn’t really want to wait forever. Anyway, last night, I coated russets in olive oil, sprinkled them with coarse kosher salt, and put them in an oven. The foil underneath was to catch oil as it dripped.

IMG_8705

After an hour, they were soft when squished, so I took them out, let them cool, and refrigerated them.

Next, I prepared the slow cooker Texas pulled pork. First, put some vegetable oil in the crock pot. I was using brand new measuring spoons because most of mine have mysteriously (and maddeningly) disappeared from my kitchen over the last month or so. I have no idea where they’ve gone and this is driving me absolutely crazy. Two sets, practically obliterated. *sigh*

IMG_8709

Next, put a chunk of pork in there. The recipe said to do four pounds, but this piece here was that big and seemed like far too much.

IMG_8710

So I cut it in half

IMG_8712

And only put half in the crock pot. The other half went in the freezer. I think I’ll be making jambalaya soon with it.

IMG_8713

Now for the sauce. Here’s some barbecue sauce (Famous Dave’s, of course).

IMG_8715

Normally I like to mix up the sauce separately, but this time around I didn’t want to dirty any extra dishes, so I put it right on the pork.

IMG_8716

Then I added some apple cider vinegar.

IMG_8717

And chicken broth (I always use reduced sodium, if I can).

IMG_8721

IMG_8727

We’re just getting started. Here’s a bit of brown sugar added to the pot:

IMG_8729

A bit of yellow mustard:

IMG_8731

Some Worcestershire sauce:

IMG_8733

Some chili powder:

IMG_8734

Some dried thyme:

IMG_8736

And finally, some minced garlic:

IMG_8737

I had waited until this point to mix it together, but now was a good time for that.

IMG_8738

Lastly, I chopped an onion and added that.

IMG_8739

IMG_8740

And with that, I put the lid on it and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I took it out and plugged it in.

After I got home from work that afternoon, it smelled amazing. This is what it looked like:

IMG_8741

Remarkably fork tender.

IMG_8742

Just a few minutes of shredding with two forks, and this is what it looked like.

IMG_8743

Now for the assembly. First, I sliced a potato lengthwise, heated it up in the microwave, and pushed the ends toward each other to open it up a bit.

IMG_8744

Added some plain Greek yogurt (healthier than sour cream!), shredded cheese, and chopped green onions. They probably would have added crumbled bacon at the Taste of Texas, but I didn’t think it would really add a ton so I didn’t bother.

IMG_8745

Then, finally, I topped everything with the pulled pork.

IMG_8747

IMG_8749

Very delicious.

IMG_8751

An easy dinner, and a satisfying one. Very flavorful and filling.

And very easy. Perfect for a weeknight.

No comments:

Post a Comment