Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crock Pot Brown and Maple Sugar Pork Tenderloin

I started a new job recently.

It’s so, so wonderful to have regular hours again. Working two part time jobs, while it helped pay the bills, led to an inconsistent and unpredictable schedule that made things hard to plan around. I had to put everything in a shared google calendar just so hubby would know if he could plan on spending time with me or not.

Now that I have a regular full-time job with predictable hours for the first time in a long time, I find myself getting home about the same time as hubby, give or take a half hour. Without an afternoon to prepare dinners, I’ve been looking for meals that I could throw together quickly.

Enter the crock pot.

IMG_8668

I found this recipe via Pinterest, hosted on a blog called “Your Homebased Mom.” Leigh Ann’s pictures looked pretty yummy, so although pork really isn’t my favorite meat to cook with, I was game to try it. A little variety is always nice, and let’s face it: I love maple syrup.

My first step was greasing my crock pot. No recipe ever says to do this, and it never occurs to me to do it independently, and I always end up with some charred sauce bonded to the sides of the porcelain. I’m trying to be better about this.

IMG_8645

Next, I put my pork in the bottom of the crock pot, seasoned with salt and pepper.

IMG_8646

Next, I made my sauce. I started with a bit of garlic…

IMG_8647

Added maple syrup…

IMG_8648

Added Dijon mustard…

IMG_8651

And some honey…

IMG_8654

And some brown sugar…

IMG_8655

Some balsamic vinegar…

IMG_8656

And finally, some dried thyme.

IMG_8657

Whisked together, this is what it looked like.

IMG_8658

Just pour it over the pork…

IMG_8660

Cover and set it to low!

At the end of the day, this is what the pork looked like. A little nasty looking, not gonna lie.

IMG_8661

Before serving, we’re going to make a sauce. This is super easy and quick. Just take the juices from the crock pot and cook on the stove.

IMG_8662

Dissolve some corn starch in water…

IMG_8664

And mix it into the sauce to thicken it up.

IMG_8665

That’s that!

To serve, I put some instant mashed potatoes on a plate, topped with some of the pork (which pulled apart easily at this point), and dribbled some of the sauce on top.

IMG_8667

At this point, I was still skeptical. I informed hubby that I wouldn’t be offended if he didn’t like it, as the pork looked dry and the sauce looked a lot darker than I expected. But as it turns out, everything was quite good. The pork wasn’t dry, just tender, and the sauce had a nice sweet-yet-smoky taste to it that made me happy that I’d bothered to put it together.

Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to do pulled pork tonight but now I think I'll try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tried a pulled pork recipe recently and liked it, but won't be blogging it until I make it again because I couldn't be bothered to take pictures. Here's the recipe if you want it: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-texas-pulled-pork/detail.aspx

      Delete