Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Meatballs, Mastered!

I have only made meatballs a few times.

Each time, it was based on my mother-in-law’s transcription of HER mother-in-law’s famous spaghetti and meatballs recipe.

This recipe, while giving details about ingredients, leaves some room for interpretation when it says “cook the meatballs.”

Bake them?

I’ve tried that. They end up very flat on one side, very stupid looking.

Fry them?

I’ve tried that. They end up breaking up as I try to roll them around the pan.

On Valentine’s Day, I decided to give it another go. Yes, I realize that was a month ago. So I’m slow to post lately. You forgive me, right?

This time, I think I got the technique down!

First, I got uniform meatball size using an ice cream scoop:

IMG_8545

IMG_8544

Then, I chilled the whole plate in the freezer to help them firm up. This helped them keep their shape.

Then I fried them, over higher heat than I normally would, just aiming for some surface color. I only put a few in my large skillet, leaving room for them to roll around, and I kept them moving as much as possible. I used my fingers when necessary. I really wanted them to keep their round shape.

IMG_8561

When they were browned all around, I took them off the heat even though they were still raw in the middle.

IMG_8562

Then I put them all on a big baking sheet and let them bake the rest of the way. Voila!

IMG_8563

Then I forgot to get close-ups afterwards. Ah well. They weren’t perfectly round, but they were so much closer than I’d gotten before. Definitely a lot more work, but I think it was worth it.

Just thought I’d share.

No comments:

Post a Comment