Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

IMG_9170

Just about my favorite thing to eat during my first trimester was grilled cheese. I’m not talking anything fancy or sophisticated, simply white bread and American cheese, like this stock photo from somewhere on the Internet:

I just couldn’t get enough of them. I’ve never bought so much American cheese in my life.

During the second trimester, I was more open to changing things up a bit. I guess I was feeling a bit more energetic and a little less picky about food. I remembered that my amazing sister-in-law had once made me a pretty incredible pesto grilled cheese sandwich, so I set out to make something similar, based on a recipe that I’d found.

First, I started out with some bread. The recipe said Italian bread, but I liked the looks of this beauty from the Wegman’s bakery.

IMG_9161

Butter one slice…

IMG_9162

Then put it facedown on the grill or skillet, or whatever you’re using. Add a coat of prepared pesto sauce to the other side.

IMG_9163

Then add a slice (or two, if you’re pregnant) of provolone cheese.

IMG_9164

Then some tomato slices,

IMG_9165

And some American cheese (I overdid the cheese a bit, I think).

IMG_9166

Take another slice of bread and put pesto on one side,

IMG_9167

Put it facedown on the sandwich, and then butter the other side.

IMG_9168

Voila! Now just cook the sandwich as you would any other grilled cheese sandwich. Flip it once if you have it in a frying pan, or just close the lid if you’re using a George Foreman grill.

IMG_9169

And there you have it!

IMG_9172

Delicious. Simple. Quick. Easy clean up. Cheese.

IMG_9171

Can’t ask for much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment