Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Crock-Pot Pork Chops

Sometimes I forget that there are other meats at the grocery store besides chicken breasts and ground beef. I guess those are what’s most familiar. Sometimes, though, I mosey on over to the pork section and come home with something different. Recently I did that and ended up with pork loin chops. Then I had to figure out what to do with them. I’m not the biggest fan of pork, but given hubby’s propensity toward meals that include meat, I try to include it here and there. It seems like it always ends up dry and overcooked, though, so I decided to find a crock pot recipe for them.
IMG_4433
The description of this recipe almost put me off of it: “'Family and friends call me the 'Crock-Pot Queen,' reveals Janet P. of Meadville, Pennsylvania. 'Of my many slow-cooked specialties, this is my husband's favorite.'” I have trouble believing that there are really people who call her that. I imagine that this is a nickname that someone called her once when she put something nice together, and it made her glow, and now she imagines that people really refer to her by that. I bet people roll their eyes and let her think that. But her recipe looked decent, and it had a lot of good reviews, so I thought I’d give it a try.
First step, throw those pork loin chops in a skillet and brown them.
IMG_4411
They smell DELICIOUS.
IMG_4410
While that’s going on, chop up a green pepper.
IMG_4409
And an onion.
IMG_4412
The recipe said to add a can of mushrooms, but I opted to go with fresh.
IMG_4413
Pork chops are still frying up. Make a sauce with tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and salt.
IMG_4414
Put the pork chops in the crock pot. The recipe said to do 6, I thought 3 was plenty. Plus, that’s what I had.
IMG_4415
Top the pork with the green peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
IMG_4416
And then pour the sauce over everything.
IMG_4418
Cover and simmer on low for 4-5 hours. I hate recipes that have that time period, because I am at work for much longer than this! But this was my day off, so I was able to start it in the early afternoon so that it was ready for dinner.
IMG_4419
Then I did some housework and went to my zumba class.
When I got home, it time to put everything together. I cooked up some hot white rice in my rice cooker and served the pork and vegetables on top of it.
It was good, but I wouldn’t say it was anything extraordinary. Janet P. of Meadville, Pennsylvania, your description is quite misleading.
IMG_4434
But it was very easy, and it was a nice change. I’ll probably make it again.
Recipe in tastebook at some point.

1 comment:

  1. I am Janet Phillips and hope that you liked my recipe. The TOH took liberties. I always make this with pork steak and cut the meat out of the fat and cook it all day long (while at work) and it is delicious. The Crock Pot Queen is only because I use my crock pot more than not. Found especially when my children were young that I would be liberated when cooking with my crock pot. Hope you enjoyed this recipe.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete