Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Indian Butter Chicken

I know it’s been a while since my last post. I don’t normally go so long without posting, but sometimes you just need to take a breather. I’m taking a course right now that has a much heavier course load than I am used to, and by the time I get home from work and do my homework, I don’t tend to have much energy left over for much else. I’ll be glad in 13 weeks when this course is done and I can get back to living. I’ll be even more glad when this degree is done! Take my advice, if you’re going to go to grad school, do the correct program the first time so that you don't have to go back a few years later and do another master’s while you’re working full time. My consolation is that I know I’m doing the right thing this time. And when I start thinking that my last degree was a waste of time, I remind myself that I would never have met hubby if I hadn’t been living in a sleepy rural Pennsylvania town a few hours away from where he was stationed because of school. Things work out the way they’re supposed to. I just wish I could fast-forward this degree program.

IMG_5736

But I’m done with my weekly paper and have the rest of the afternoon to relax. It’s sunny and 73 degrees, so I’m sitting outside on the balcony with my feet up and with my puppy next to me. We’re listening to Lady Antebellum and she’s keeping a close eye on everyone that walks by. She loves the mailman in particular. She’s a sucker for anyone who calls her pretty and gives her treats. I’ve had to turn up the brightness on my laptop because of my transition lenses, so I don’t know how long my battery will last, but I’ll do what I can until it does die.

Last night, I found myself wanting to cook something that I have had bookmarked for well over a year. I have held off because I knew it would be sinfully full of fat, but yesterday I didn’t care about that as much as I normally do. I just wanted to make it. Hubby was napping so I knew I had time and went about making it in a very relaxed and happy mood. I wasn’t even drinking wine.

Here’s what made my Indian meal possible: Garam Marsala (a Christmas gift from mom) and Tandoori Spice (birthday present from brother and sister-in-law). It was my first time using either of them and I didn’t know what to expect, but my recipe called for them so I was ready to go. I’ve had them both for a while so it was nice to get them out and experiment.

IMG_5675

Since I already had to go to the store for chicken, I picked up some naan, too. I don’t know much about Indian cuisine but I know that you eat nann with dinner. Well, Americans eat Indian food that way, at least.

IMG_5676

Turned on the Pandora app on my Kindle Fire and set it to some classical piano music.

IMG_5677

I started by measuring out some rice and putting into my rice cooker. I figured we’d have leftover food so I made more rice than I normally do for two of us.

IMG_5678

IMG_5681

Next up, mince an onion.

IMG_5682

I’m not sure what the puppy thought I was doing when I was peeling the onion, but the papery sound made her come running! She left, disappointed, when she learned that I was just cutting up onions.

IMG_5684

The recipe said to melt “a few tablespoons” of butter in a skillet. I interpreted that as 2 tablespoons.

IMG_5689

Add a tablespoon of minced garlic.

IMG_5692

And then the onions. You’re going to cook them on medium heat until they’ve caramelized and turned a dark brown. It takes about 15 minutes.

IMG_5694

IMG_5709

IMG_5711

IMG_5713

In a separate pot, melt a cup of butter (minus however much you melted in the skillet for the onions).

IMG_5690

Add a can of tomato sauce. So weird looking. I don’t think I’ve ever combined those ingredients before.

IMG_5691

Add heavy cream. A lot of it. Three cups of it.

IMG_5699

Sinful, didn’t I say? Look at the legs on that.

IMG_5700

Add salt.

IMG_5703

And cayenne pepper.

IMG_5706

And garam masala, whatever that is.

IMG_5707

Stir it all in.

IMG_5708

Basically, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for a half hour.

IMG_5710

Easier said than done. It boiled over. I caught it just before it happened and reacted by saying “Oh shit, stop! Stop!” and turning the burner off. I have electric burners, so this did pretty much nothing and it boiled over. Luckily I was able to move it off the active burner just before it happened, so at least my kitchen didn’t smell like burned food.

IMG_5712

All cleaned up, see? I thought I was in the clear. I was so naïve.

IMG_5714

Okay, on to the chicken. Cut up some boneless breasts into bite-size chunks. My version of “bite size” is usually much smaller than other people, but when I’m cooking, I get to be the boss.

IMG_5715

Drizzle a few tablespoons of vegetable oil over it. Normally I use olive oil and I don’t really know enough to say which is better for this, so I went with what the recipe said and used vegetable oil. That grammar structure was odd and I’m too worn out from my paper for school to even care about fixing it.

IMG_5718

The recipe asked for tandoori masala to be sprinkled over it. I had “tandoori spice.” Don’t ask me the difference, I have no idea. One word was correct and that was enough for me.

IMG_5719

I sprinkled it over the chicken and used my hand to combine it evenly before turning the chicken out onto a greased aluminum-foil-lined cookie sheet. I think I took this picture so that you would admire the left-handed photography, which is actually a lot harder than it sounds. The button is on the wrong side of the camera. You’re impressed, right?

IMG_5720

Okay, here’s the chicken without my weird-looking hand.

IMG_5721

Ooops. I was so wrapped up in preparing the chicken and taking left-handed pictures that I let the sauce boil over again. This is so complicated.

IMG_5723

The chicken needs to be baked for 12 minutes. I waited until I had 12 minutes left on my simmering sauce before putting it in the oven so that they could be done together. Looking good!

IMG_5725

When the chicken came out, I added my caramelized onions to the sauce.

IMG_5726

Then I used tongs to put the chicken in the sauce, too. I didn’t just dump it because there was a lot of oil on the foil and the sauce was oily enough from the butter already.

IMG_5729

I cranked the heat on the oven up to 400 degrees and put the naan on the baking sheet (which was still clean since I used foil for the chicken). It only needed 2-3 minutes in the oven to get nice and hot.

Now, to serve.

Spoon some rice into a bowl.

IMG_5730

And serve the chicken and sauce directly on top. I’m not sure if this would be the “correct” or classy way to serve. After all, in restaurants the rice is always served separately, but I spoon the entrée on top of the rice anyway, so that’s what I did for us here. Voila!

IMG_5733

Then I remembered my naan. It was piping hot and fresh out of the oven. I just ripped off a chunk and put it on top, having no better place to put it. Should I have used a plate instead? Ah well.

IMG_5737

Verdict? I LOVED THIS. It reminded me so much of a dish that I had in a little Indian restaurant in Georgetown a few years ago. I’m no expert on Indian food (obviously), but to me this seemed like the way it was supposed to taste. It was spicy from that cayenne, yet the flavor was deep and smoky and even a bit sweet. I really, really enjoyed this. I suppose that next time I’ll experiment with much less heavy cream and butter, but I really wanted to try the recipe the way it was intended at least once. There is a modification on from the original submitter, using evaporated milk and less butter, and maybe I’ll try that someday. But I sure liked the full-fat version. Nom nom nom. I’m still full from lunch today but writing about last night’s dinner makes me want to go heat up the leftovers.

Here's the recipe. If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment