Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Boozy Barbecue Meatballs

This recipe is blatantly stolen borrowed from Julia at Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body. I saw it ages ago on her site and starred it in Google Reader, then promptly forgot about it. I recently scrolled through my collection of forgotten starred items and rediscovered it. Of course, I couldn’t wait to make it. Easy AND delicious? Yes, please.

IMG_7132

The ingredients for my sauce: beer, barbecue sauce, and cranberry sauce. That’s it.

IMG_7118

Also, a bag of frozen meatballs. I didn’t have the little appetizer ones, so I used big “Wegman’s Italian Classics” meatballs. I think this was a really good substitution.

IMG_7120

Step 1: Make sauce by plopping the three sauce ingredients in a crock pot (cranberry sauce, beer, and barbecue sauce).

IMG_7121

Step 2: Mix.

Step 3: Add frozen meatballs.

IMG_7122

Step 4: Drink the rest of the beer (Honestly, that’s what Julia said to do. I didn’t think of that all on my own. I was really just following directions and didn’t have a choice).

A few hours later, the alcohol in the beer had cooked off and left behind a flavor that mixed oh so well with the BBQ and cranberry flavors.

IMG_7125

I went a bit beyond Julia’s conceptualization of serving these as appetizers, and put them on fresh bakery rolls with sliced Swiss cheese.

IMG_7126

Then I cut them up just to make eating a little easier.

IMG_7128

Just as I was finishing putting it together, hubby got home from work. He announced that dinner smelled good, then walked into the room and saw what was on his plate. A big ol’ grin and an exclamation of “Oh my!” and I knew I done good.

Yes, done good.

IMG_7131

Super easy (about 5 minutes to prepare, assuming you’re using pre-fabbed ingredients instead of making your own) and super delicious. Can’t get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment