Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Shallots

Hubby and I celebrated our second anniversary yesterday. He gave me a card with a list of “Things a wife just knows.” Number two on the list is, “Meat is his favorite meal.” Truth.

He also gave me pearl earrings. That has nothing to do with this blog post, but I thought you should know.

IMG_7373

I’ve never been a huge fan of pork, but I do like to try to change things up and do something a little different now and then. I know hubby gets bored with chicken, and you can only do so many things with ground beef, so here we are. Anyway, this recipe (another from Gina at skinnytaste.com) looked yummy.

The recipe called for bone-in pork chops, but I didn’t realize that until I got home from purchasing my boneless pork chops, so I just went with it. I started by seasoning with salt and pepper.

IMG_7357

Melt some butter…

IMG_7359

And put those chops in the butter to sizzle and brown up.

IMG_7360

I knew the timing would be off since I was using boneless, but timing meat makes me nervous, so after I flipped them, I used a thermometer to try to approximate doneness. Not sure it worked real well.

IMG_7361

Anyway, when the chops are done, toss in a whole bunch of chopped shallots. These are the homegrown ones from my Aunt.

IMG_7363

After a couple minutes, add some chicken broth. This will help get all that pork flavor off of the pan and into the sauce!

IMG_7365

Then I added some Dijon mustard and dried parsley (because I forgot to pick up fresh).

IMG_7366

Mmm, starting to smell yummy!

IMG_7367

Finally, I added sliced mushrooms and some salt and pepper.

IMG_7369

Just let it cook for a few minutes, until the mushrooms are done. And that’s it! To serve, put a pork chop on a plate and top with some of the mushroom sauce.

IMG_7377

I served myself the chop that had the thermometer in it, and I think that was the driest one because all the juices leaked out. My impressions that night were that the pork was okay and the mushroom sauce was delicious.

IMG_7378

But I had a leftover chop the next day, and I realized that that one was much better, even though it was nuked! So I guess I did all right. Seriously, though, my favorite part was the mushroom and shallot sauce. Even if you leave out the mushrooms, I still think it’s worth making. The tang from the Dijon mixed with the shallots and chicken broth? Oh yes. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment