Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fartin' Chili

I thought about renaming my chili for the sake of Jolie and her blog, but, I just couldn't do it. It is, what it is. Fartin' Chili. Sorry Jolie!! I'm Jacki and I'm a guest blogger, yay! We eat gluten free at home because my DH has celiac disease. Luckily, the kids don't show signs of having it, yet.

I intended to make white chicken chili and cornbread for the first time just for this blog, but, well I went for a run, and when I came back Josh had gotten hungry and made it already. It was more like chicken soup anyway, so whatever! Instead, I'm making my favorite fall meal, Fartin' Chili!!


Fartin' Chili


ingredients:

1 pound ground turkey breast
1 pound ground sausage (I prefer sweet italian)
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3 tbs minced garlic
3 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
1 can of black beans
1 can of cantinelli beans
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 14.5 oz can of beef broth
1 12 oz can of tomato paste
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (add more for more heat)
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream

these are the ingredients :)



1. In a large pot brown the meat (I do everything in one pot because I hate doing the dishes). Once browned drain off most of the liquid (especially if you use ground beef as it's more greasy).



2. while that is cooking I chop up the onion and garlic cloves like this:


I'd like to take credit for all that chopping but, I like cheating and used this:




3. add your onion and garlic so it looks like this: (this is starting to sound a little monotonous, sorry!) Start cooking it at about a medium heat until the onions are more soft and translucent.




4. now would be a good time to stop and make sure everyone is still occupied and not getting into trouble:





6. Stir the pot. Now start opening every single can. This takes forever. It especially takes forever on the days I use double the beans, so this time it wasn't so bad.




7. Stir the pot, again. Now dump all your beans in a strainer thing and rinse them!



8. Finally, your onions/garlic/meat are looking like this:




9. Add in the beans and everything else like this:





10. Mix it all together and cook on simmer for at least 20 minutes or as long as you want. Sometimes mine cooks all morning.





Now some people are really weird and put strange things on their chili like rice chex cereal, pretzels, yogurt, sour cream... *cough cough my husband cough cough* But, I prefer just topping it with some yummy cheddar cheese! And, eat it up!!!! It makes about 12 servings. SO YUMMY!




*****Now wait 2-4 hours for the farts to start, get under the blankets and start up that dutch oven =P



No comments:

Post a Comment