Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Beef Enchiladas with Corn and Black Beans

The strange thing about this recipe is that it’s entirely my own! I didn’t borrow or steal this recipe from anyone, I just threw everything together and made a meal all on my own.

IMG_8097

Very strange.

But fun, I think.

I’ve made beef enchiladas a million times, but when I’ve done it, it’s been a primarily ground beef and enchilada sauce mixed up, put inside flour tortillas, and topped with more sauce and a whole bunch of cheese.

It’s very tasty done this way, but the problem is that it’s very boring. I just wasn’t feeling it, but I wanted something similar, so I decided to spice it up a bit with some additions.

Here is what I used: black beans, enchilada sauce, chopped green chilis, cilantro, onion, canned corn, ground beef, Greek yogurt, Mexican-blend cheese, flour tortillas, and a bit of refried beans to serve on the side.

IMG_8054

First step, chop up the onion.

IMG_8056

Second step: I sautéed a half cup of chopped onion for a few minutes, then added a half cup of rinsed and drained black beans. I figured they needed to cook down a bit so that they’d be tender before I put them in the enchiladas.

IMG_8057

Then I added a half cup of corn.

IMG_8058

Mixed all around.

IMG_8060

Finally, I added the whole little can of chopped green chilis and let everything cook down until tender.

IMG_8062

Then I took the mixture out of the skillet and set it aside.

(Nazzers – recognize the bowl? Points for those who do!)

IMG_8063

Moving on. Next, I sautéed the beef in the same skillet.

IMG_8064

After it was browned, I drained off the grease and then added a can of enchilada sauce.

IMG_8068

Once it was heated up, I added most of the bean/ onion/ corn/ chilis mixture back in, though not all of it because it seemed like a lot.

IMG_8069

In retrospect, I’m not sure it was necessary to separate everything out only to recombine, but ah well. It worked out.

IMG_8070

Last step: a spoonful of Greek yogurt. This was really the change I was most looking forward to. I have recently discovered Greek yogurt and was looking for ways to sneak it into food, making it creamy, without tipping hubby off.

IMG_8071

All melted and mixed into the mixture, this is what it looked like.

IMG_8073

I laid out a bunch of tortillas in a dish and carefully scooped a bit into each one of them.

IMG_8076

When the mixture was doled out, I rolled up the tortillas.

IMG_8079

I poured the other can of enchilada sauce on top

IMG_8085

And finally, I topped it off with Mexican-blend cheese.

IMG_8090

Okay, by this point, my camera’s battery light was blinking at I wasn’t able to use the screen, so I actually had to use a viewfinder. That’s not something I’ve done in years! Ha.

Anyway, I served the enchiladas with some Mexican rice and refried beans on the side, and also topped with a spoonful of Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.

IMG_8091

Very tasty. Different. I think I should have included less chilis, since they were a little overwhelming, but otherwise I liked it a lot.

IMG_8096

Who am I kidding? I’m just smug that I made my own recipe and that hubby liked it enough to eat the leftovers. Maybe I’m learning a thing or two about cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment