Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Jack O’Lantern Cheeseburger Pie

I’m not sure why I’m blogging about cheeseburger pie when I really should be doing the massive amount of work I have to do for school, but it’s probably got something to do with the fact that I just don’t want to do school work.

IMG_7828

My apartment complex gives us a cute little newsletter every month with fun facts about the holidays in that month, community info and news, and a random recipe. This month’s was jack o’lantern cheeseburger pie. Of course I had to make that one.

It was helpful that hubby and I were invited over to my brother and SIL’s place on Halloween. It would have felt weird to make this for just us. They have a kid. Granted, she’s only a toddler and had no idea what was going on, but it seemed to make more sense to do something so whimsical if there’s a kid involved.

I started off with some chopped onion, minced garlic, sat, and pepper.

IMG_7751

And ground beef.

IMG_7752

Just kept stirring it to let it all cook.

IMG_7753

When it was almost done, I measured out some ketchup.

IMG_7756

And after draining the beef, I added the ketchup to it.

IMG_7757

All mixed it, it looked almost exactly like it had before. I really didn’t think this was enough ketchup, but after a little taste, I decided to leave it alone.

IMG_7762

Set the beef aside to let it cool.

Next step: prepare the pie shell! I cheated and used store-bough pie crust, though I was better about letting it warm up at room temperature before trying to unroll it.

IMG_7759

Then I took some mustard…

IMG_7760

And smeared it around the bottom of the pie crust. I told you this was weird!

IMG_7761

Take a massive, ridiculous, crazy amount of Monterey jack cheese and put it in the pan with the beef.

IMG_7765

As I mixed it in, I had second thoughts about the quantity of cheese and picked some back out. That’s not necessary Smile

IMG_7766

Once it’s all combined, press the mixture into the pie shell.

IMG_7767

Then unroll the other pie crust so you can play with it!

IMG_7771

Basically, I put it on a cutting board and cut out a silly jack o’lantern face with a knife.

IMG_7772

The smile was lopsided, but ah well. It still looked cute, right?

IMG_7773

I picked the whole thing up (carefully!) and placed it on top of the pie. Then I rolled the edges and used the cutout dough to make a little stem.

IMG_7776

Just before cooking, I brushed the pie with a mixture of egg, water, and red and yellow food coloring. I also painted the stem green! Then I giggled at how silly it looked and announced that I would be very sorry if this turned out to be a complete flop.

IMG_7780

After baking it for about 20 minutes, I took it back out to baste again. At this point, I filled in the holes with a bit of leftover Monterey jack cheese. I thought about making a foil shield to protect my crust from getting burned, but then I decided that I didn’t care.

IMG_7823

The recipe said to bake another 10 minutes, but I think I gave it closer to 5. And then it was done!

IMG_7830

I liked that there was a bowl of apples on their table. It make it look more festive.

IMG_7831

Luckily, it was really easy to serve. I had greased the pie plate, which helped, and the food stuck together better than I expected. Thanks, cheese! I served it with some potato salad and that was that.

IMG_7834

Verdict: Yes, it was reminiscent of a cheeseburger. The ketchup and mustard were both there, but subdued. I’m not a mustard fan, so I appreciated this. I noticed the cheese less from the flavor and more from the texture, which was actually pretty creamy. It was a heavy meal, so one piece was pretty much okay for one person, but it was pleasing enough that some went back for more. The leftovers were just as good, I thought.

Definitely a fun, easy meal. Easily modified for different holidays (or no holiday at all, I suppose, but where’s the fun in that?). Maybe a new family favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment