Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Szechwan Shrimp

I haven’t bought shrimp in a while because it’s so expensive, but I found myself really craving it the other day.

So I bought some.

IMG_7888

I really don’t know how to say Szechwan but I do know that I think it’s yummy. I had a recipe bookmarked on allrecipes.com from one of those daily emails that they send out, so I thought I’d give it a try. Seemed simple enough.

The sauce starts out with some water.

IMG_7842

Some ketchup…

IMG_7846

Soy sauce (I prefer low sodium)…

IMG_7849

Corn starch. I thought it was really interesting to mix it in with my sauce instead of later dissolving it in some water and adding it, but I like it this way better. Eliminates a step and makes the result less watery.

IMG_7852

Honey…

IMG_7857

Crushed red pepper flakes…

IMG_7861

And ground ginger…

IMG_7864

I like pretty pictures of ingredients not quite mixed up.

IMG_7866

Also, then I went back and redid the whole thing because I realized I wanted more sauce than the recipe called for. We’ll come back to this.

IMG_7868

Next, I turned to the shrimp.

IMG_7870

I’d wanted more sauce than the recipe called for because I planned to incorporate broccoli, which wasn’t in the original recipe.

IMG_7873

Sauté it all up.

IMG_7875

Once it had started to heat up, I added the sauce. I figured it needed time to simmer, especially with that cornstarch in there.

IMG_7881

IMG_7884

To serve, just put some rice in a bowl

IMG_7883

And spoon the shrimp and broccoli right on top. Simple as that!

IMG_7887

IMG_7889

IMG_7892

A really nice weeknight dinner. Not a lot of effort or dishes, but a lot of flavor. Here’s the recipe, if you’d like to try it!

I know I’ve been behind in posting. I have term papers due. Enough said. I’ll be back on track soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment