Teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Red Beans and Rice

Happy New Year, everyone!

I thought I’d start off 2013 with a post that has nothing to do with holidays or new beginnings or New Years in general. It’s just something that I made recently that turned out pretty well.

IMG_8143

My entire experience with red beans and rice is what I’ve gotten from Popeye’s on those few occasions when hubby really needed a Louisiana food fix. I wasn’t a huge fan of it, but it was all right, and since I had a few pounds of Cajun sausage in my freezer, I thought this would be a nice dish to try for him. I’m a nice wife sometimes.

I started off with a pound of dry red kidney beans. Dry beans intimidate me but Google is my friend.

IMG_8130

I started off with boiling them and letting them sit for an hour or so.

IMG_8131

Meanwhile, I chopped up some veggies (onion, green pepper, celery) and sauteed them in olive oil with some garlic

IMG_8132

Then I forgot to take pictures for a few steps. Basically, I rinsed the beans and then put them back in the pot with about 6 cups of fresh cold water. I also added a few bay leaves and some cayenne pepper.

IMG_8133

Then I added thyme…

IMG_8134

Blurry sage…

IMG_8135

Similarly blurry parsley (I need to focus on photography skills in 2013)…

IMG_8136

And Penzey’s Cajun spices.

IMG_8137

And I’m going to be perfectly honest, I don’t know what this is. It’s not in the recipe. Could it be just a dark picture of partially-added Cajun spice? Probably. But I couldn’t swear to it.

IMG_8138

Oh yeah, don’t forget to add the veggies!

IMG_8140

Here ya go. Bring it to a boil, and then simmer for two and a half hours. I think I did closer to two hours. I also think I added a healthy dose of salt, too. I have learned that Cajun food requires it.

IMG_8141

Then add your sliced sausage, imported by the inlaws (no pictures; sorry!), and simmer for another half hour or so.

Up until this point, I was seriously, seriously questioning this dish. Once the sausage was in, though, it took on a whole different quality. The Cajun sausage here really made a difference in the aroma and in the taste of the broth.

Serve over fresh, hot, fluffy rice. And that’s it!

IMG_8144

The smokiness of the sausage really mixed well with the sage and thyme. Like I said, I was skeptical of this dish until the sausage was added. But then it got yummy. Really yummy. I’m not sure how to describe this.

IMG_8145

But I am pretty sure this was better than Popeye’s!

Here’s the recipe, if you’d like to give it a shot. Not sure how it would be without real Cajun sausage but if you’re like me and from the North, you might not know the difference Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment